Yoga is an ancient art of exercises that have evolved down the ages through the method of instruction and learning. Choose this rejuvenating exercise workout to get better digestion. It improves the functioning of the organs. And it helps you lose weight. Here are some of the tried and tested ways to shed those extra kilos and become a slimmer you.
Jalandhara Bandha (Chin lock)
This is one of the three bandhas (locks) used in Yoga. This is useful for activating the Vishuddhi Chakra.
Method: Start from Padmasana or any meditative pose. Sit down with your legs crossed and palms on your knees.
– Breathe normally, close your eyes.
– Breathe in and hold the breath. Bend your head forward so that your chin rests between the collarbones.
– Keep the knees on the floor. Press with the hands to lock the knees.
– Hold the breath for only a few seconds.
– Exhale and bring the head back to upright position.
Benefits: Jalandhara Bandha closes the air passage, stimulates the thyroid and parathyroid glands. Throat chakra gets activated – it gives immortality. By controlling these glands, the metabolic activity comes under control. You will not feel any cravings.
Avoid if: People who have breathing problems or high blood pressure should not do this.
Padahastansana (Standing forward bend)
This rejuvenates the organs in the abdomen. It tones the tummy.
Method: Begin from the Tadasana. Keep your hands to either side of the body with the heels touching each other.
– Inhale deeply and raise your hands upward. Let your body fall away from your hip as you bend forward.
– Touch the floor with your hands (or your toes or ankles).
– Hold your breath, tuck the tummy, and hold the pose for one minute.
– Exhale and rise up go to Tadasana pose.
Benefits: Makes the digestion strong, alleviates tensions and helps reduce unusual cravings. It helps regulate your metabolic activity.
Avoid if: People with spinal disc disorder or pain in the back must not do this.
Pavanamuktasana (Wind Relieving Pose)
This helps get rid of the gas in the intestinal tract.
Method: Lie down in the supine position and bend your knees by pulling your feet toward your buttock.
– Take in a deep breath and bring your knees toward your abdomen.
– Clasp your hands around your knees as you press your knees to your chest.
– Inhale and touch your chin to your knees.
– Hold the position for one minute.
– Now relax your body, go to Shavasana.
– It can also be done with one leg at a time.
Benefits: Pressing your leg against your chest applies pressure to the abdominal region. The longer you hold the pose, the more fat you burn.
Avoid if: People who are pregnant or having spinal problems should avoid this.
Paschmottanasana (Seated Forward Bend)
This stimulates the centre of the solar plexus. The tummy toning pose also adds strength to the hamstrings, thighs, and hips.
Method: Start from either Padmasana or Vajrasana. In Padmasana, you sit with your legs crossed and hands on your knees. In Vajrasana, you sit on your heels from a kneeling position.
– Stretch out your legs in front of you. Make the spine erect.
– Inhale and stretch your hands above your head. Keep your eyes looking forward.
– Exhale and bend bringing your face to your knees. Grasp your toes with your hands. (You can hold your ankles also).
– Pull your legs, breathe in and strengthen your tummy. Hold the pose for one minute.
Benefits: It corrects digestive disorders. It helps augment the digestion and burns the fats. It balances the menstrual cycle. You also get relief from stress.
Avoid if: People who have undergone abdominal surgery or have spinal disc problems must not do this.
Naukasana (Boat Pose)
This helps remove stubborn fat from the midriff. It is easy to do and gives you good results.
Method: Start from a supine position on the exercise mat.
– Inhale deeply and point the toes and your hands by stiffening them.
– Exhale and raise your torso off the ground. Raise your legs and hand,s so they are parallel to the floor.
– Keep your fingers pointed in line with the toes. Keep your gaze soft and look at your toes.
– Strengthen your core and hold the pose for one minute.
– Exhale and relax. Lie in the supine position.
Benefits: It tones the abs and trims the belly.
Avoid if: Do not do this if you have insomnia, spinal injuries, or insomnia.
Ardha Matsyendrasana (Sitting half spinal twist)
This helps tone the sides and upper body. It strengthens the abdominal muscles.
Method: Start from Vajrasana. Sit down on your heels and keep your hands on your knees.
– Stretch your legs out and keep your hands on either side of your buttocks.
– Bring your left heel to the right side of the right knee.
– Bend your right leg and bring the right heel beneath your left buttock.
– Turn to face the left side and place your left hand behind your back.
– Strengthen your core and hold the pose for one minute.
– Repeat the cycle for the other side.
Benefits: Reduces the abdominal fat. Augments the digestive system and helps with fat burning. It makes the spine supple.
Avoid if: People with back problems and spinal injuries should not do this.
Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
This adds strength to the thighs, arms, back, and abdomen. It improves your posture.
Method: Start from a prone position on the exercise mat. Keep your hands on the sides of the body.
– Exhale deeply, raise your legs off the floor and take your hands back. Grab hold of your ankles.
– Move your body weight to the abdomen.
– Inhale and point your toes to the ceiling.
– Keep your eyes soft and looking forward.
– Hold the pose for one minute. Then, relax and come to the prone position on the floor.
Benefits: This stretches the back muscles and strengthens the neck muscles. It stimulates the abdominal organs and muscles and makes you lose fat.
Avoid if: People who have back or knee injuries must not do this.
Comment Your Favorite Pose Below.. What type of yoga you Need in our next post?.. comment here..